About the Competition
For the 2016-17 competition, there was a first place Prize of $70,000, a second place Prize of $30,000, and an Audience Favorite Award of $1,000. Team Mechanodontics, a startup that has invented hygienic and aesthetic braces that halve treatment time and require fewer dental visits, was chosen as the recipient of the first place prize. The second place prize went to YT AG., a first-in-market industrial-grade pollinator healthcare IT provider, and the Audience Favorite Award went to Good Luck Gaming, a startup that gives fans a chance to play with their favorite video game celebrity while supporting a good cause. The winning teams were selected on Wednesday, April 19, 2017 during the Final Round of the competition in which six teams presented before five judges.
The Lowell Milken Institute-Sandler Prize for New Entrepreneurs is a business plan competition for teams of UCLA students with a total of $100,000 in prizes.
Each team consists of two to six members and must include a current UCLA School of Law 3L student in good standing or a 2016 UCLA School of Law graduate. This competition is for any Team that has developed a Startup Business that the Team has already started to build or intends to build within the next 12 months. A Startup Business is any proposed business or existing business, for profit, not-for profit, or public benefit. The Startup Business must be a new, independent venture in seed or startup stages.
Read through the Competition details and rules before submitting an application next fall.
- Wednesday, September 7, 2016 – Business Law Competitions Information Session for UCLA School of Law students
– PowerPoint presented at info. session
- Monday, October 17, 2016 – Meetup featuring Joseph Aigboboh, CEO at PlayQ Inc.; Nick Lum, CEO of BeeLine Reader; and Joshua Browder, inventor of two law-related chatbots.
- Friday, October 28, 2016 – Team registrations open
- Thursday, January 19, 2017 – Meetup featuring Carrie Norton, Founder of Green Business BASE CAMP and Michael DeGeorgio, Founder of Commercial Real Estate Exchange, Inc. All UCLA students are welcome to attend.
- Friday, January 27, 2017 – Team registrations due
- Monday, February 27, 2017 – Gunderson Dettmer Law Firm Presentation 1 to Eligible Law Student on entity selection considerations; shareholder agreements; entity formation; approaches for lawyers to consider legal and regulatory risks for a new venture.
- Tuesday, February 28, 2017 – Gunderson Dettmer Law Firm Presentation 2 to Eligible Law Student on analyzing IP needs of the venture (what IP does the venture claim to own and what IP does the venture think it will need and how to get it); analyzing existing contractual relationships (e.g., cost, cost if breached, how to end the relationship, how to extend, etc.) and a model terms sheet for early investor.
- Friday, March 24, 2017 – Business plans due
- March 2017 – Judges will review all submitted business plans and determine which teams should move forward to the public round in April
- Wednesday, April 19, 2017 – Public round of the competition
Registration for this year’s Lowell Milken Institute Sandler Prize for New Entrepreneurs is currently closed. Please check back in fall 2017 for information on next year’s competition.
Create Job Posting and View Available Positions
Information on creating a job posting and viewing available positions will be available soon.
Sign up for our mailing list to receive updates about the 2017-18 competition and about competition-related events.
Find out answers to your questions about the competition.
Students taking part in the competition can avail themselves of these UCLA Resources.
Contact us if you have any questions.