Steven A. Bank, Paul Hastings Professor of Business Law, Faculty Director of the Lowell Milken Institute for Business Law and Policy
- Presenting “When We Tax the Pyramids,” at the National Tax Association Annual Meeting, Tampa, Florida, November 21, 2013.
- Presenting “Law and History by Numbers: Use, but with Care,” with Brian R. Cheffins and Harwell Wells at the Larry Ribstein Memorial Symposium, University of Illinois, October 17, 2013.
- Commentator, Conference on the 110th Anniversary of the 16th Amendment, USC School of Law, February 7-8, 2013.
- Presented “The Globalization of Corporate Tax Reform,” at a Pepperdine University School of Law Conference, Tax Advice for the Second Obama Administration on January 18, 2013.
Daniel Bussel, Professor of Law
- Panelist on “Stern v. Marshall” at the Emory Bankruptcy Developments Journal ninth annual symposium, held in Atlanta, March 1, 2012.
- Presented on Ethical Issues in Bankruptcy” at the Capital Region Bankruptcy Bar Association 16th Annual Bankruptcy Conference in Lake George, New York, Nov. 2, 2012.
- In October 2012, presented: “Winning Your Bankruptcy Appeal” at the Beverly Hills Bar Association; “Anna Nicole, Stripped of Legacy Forces Bankruptcy System to Rerun Marathon” at the Financial Lawyers Conference in Los Angeles; and “Arthur Rosett Festschrift” at a UCLA School of Law colloquium.
Scott Cummings, Professor of Law
- Panelist on “What Is Happening to Pro Bono?” at the 19th Annual Ira C. Rothgerber, Jr. Conference “Toward the Constitutional Right of Access to Justice: Implications and Implementation” at the Colorado Law Bryon R. White Center for the Study of American Constitutional Law, held in Denver, Colorado, Nov. 4, 2011.
- Presented “The Ties that Bind: Mapping Arenas of Engagement between Corporate and Public Interest Law in Emerging Economies” at a Harvard Law School Program on the Legal Profession, Globalization, Lawyers, and Emerging Economies (GLEE) Project in New Delhi, India in October 2012.
- In September 2011, presented “Litigation at work: Defending Day Labor in Los Angeles” at the Sixth Annual Labor and Employer Law Colloquium, held at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles.
Mark F. Grady, Distinguished Professor of Law
- Presented a chapter of his manuscript on “The Origins of Despotism” at a UCLA Department of Economics symposium in June 2012.
Kenneth N. Klee, Professor of Law
- Appeared as a commissioner at the initial public meeting of the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Commission to Reform Chapter 11 in Washington, D.C., April 19, 2012.
- In March 29, 2012, the invited speaker for the prestigious Cordell Hull Speakers Forum, sponsored by Samford University’s Cumberland Law School in Birmingham, Alabama, where he presented “A Short History on Municipal Bankruptcy.”
- Also in March, participated in a webinar series sponsored by the Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Advisors called “Municipal Bankruptcy Part 2 – Financing.”
- Feb. 4 2012, panelist on “Valuation in Bankruptcy Cases: The Marketplace, the Courts, and the Eye of the Beholder” presented by the American College of Bankruptcy First Circuit Fellows and Boston College Law School.
- In January 2012, presented “Chapter 9 Municipal Bankruptcy” at the American College of Bankruptcy Ninth Circuit Fellows Annual Dinner, in Santa Monica, California.
- Dec. 2, 2011, presented “Bankruptcy and the Supreme Court” at the 26th Annual Advanced Bankruptcy Seminar: Advanced Issues in Complex Times, in Oklahoma City.
- In November 2011, presented “Jefferson County, Alabama, Chapter 9 Update” and participated on a panel on “Ethical Issues in Bankruptcy” sponsored by the Central New York Bankruptcy Bar Association, in Lake George, New York.
- Participated in several panels from September 2011 through April 2012 addressing aspects of Stern v. Marshall, including panels sponsored by: the 2012 Sixth Circuit Judicial Conference; San Diego Bankruptcy Forum and Federal Bar Association; Central New York Bankruptcy Bar Association; 85th Annual National Conference of Bankruptcy Judges; Los Angeles Bar Association; Financial Lawyers Conference; Commercial Law League of America; ABA Business Bankruptcy Committee; and the Central District of California Bankruptcy Court Board of Judges Education Program.
Russell Korobkin, Professor of Law
- Conducted the “Five Tool Negotiator,” negotiation training program for executives in Melbourne, Australia, July 23, 2013.
- Organized the Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Program’s third annual Negotiation and Conflict Resolution Colloquium held during the spring 2012 semester. Scholars in the field from around the nation addressed topics such as dispute system design and building good working relationships with opposing counsel in their presentations.
Douglas Lichtman, Professor of Law
- Presented “The Patent Playbook: Understanding the Patent War Between Apple, Google, and Samsung” at CLSA Technology Forums in Singapore, Hong Kong and Tokyo in June 2012; in Ft. Lauderdale, New York and Philadelphia in May 2012; and in San Francisco in March 2012.
- Spoke on “Patent Trends and Problems” during a presentation at the Sterling Partners Futures Retreat, in Baltimore, Maryland in May 2012.
- In January 2012, spoke on “Anti-Piracy Today” as part of XBIZ LA.
Lynn M. LoPucki, Security Pacific Bank Distinguished Professor of Law
- Keynote speaker at the Turnaround Management Association Annual Meeting in November 2012.
- Presenter, by teleconference, at the Regulatory Competition in Bankruptcy Law conference in Munich, Germany in June 2011.
Kirk J. Stark, Vice Dean and Professor of Law
- Presented “Federal Tax Reform & the Deduction for State and Local Taxes” at the University of Southern California Gould School of Law’s Institute for the Study of New Institutional Economics (ISNIE) in June 2012.
- In March 2012, presented “Bribing the States to Tax Food” at a Duke Law School Tax Policy Workshop and at a faculty workshop at Ohio State Moritz College of Law.
- Keynote speaker on “The Federal Role in State & Local Taxation: Rethinking Washington’s Volatility Bias” at the Portland Tax Forum in February 2012 and he gave the opening remarks at the Third Annual Transactional LawMeet–Western Regionals, held at UCLA School of Law.
- Organizer, moderator and presenter of “Federal Tax Reform and the Deduction for State and Local Taxes” at the Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center/UCLA Tax Policy Conference and “Federal Tax Reform Beyond the Beltway: How Federal Tax Reform and Tax Policy Will Affect State and Local Governments,” held at UCLA Law.
- In November 2012, presented “Bribing the States to Tax Food” at the annual meeting of the National Tax Association in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- Panel organizer at the First Annual NYU-UCLA Tax Policy Conference “Tax Law and Health Care Reform,” hosted by UCLA Law in October 2011.
- Gave introductory remarks at a China Law Association Conference at UCLA Law and was a commentator at a Loyola tax policy workshop, also in October.
Alexander Stremitzer, Acting Professor of Law
- Presenter at the American Law & Economics Association Annual Meeting, held at Stanford Law School, May 19, 2012, and speaker at the UCLA Anderson School of Management Strategy Seminar Series.
- In April 2012, presented at the NYU School of Law and Economics Colloquium.
- Spoke at a University of Virginia Law School Law and Economics Workshop in November 2011 and at the Conference of Empirical Legal Studies, held in Chicago.
- Presenter at the European Association of Law and Economics Annual Meeting, held in Hamburg, Germany in September 2012.